Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Skill + 1UP

Day Two: 29th March. Skill + 1UP Look back over your last year of projects and compare where you are in terms of skill and knowledge of your craft to this time last year. Have you learned any new skills or forms of knitting/crochet (can you crochet cable stitches now where you didn’t even know such things existed last year? Have you recently put a foot in the tiled world of entrelac? Had you even picked up a pair of needles or crochet hook this time last year?

I'm a new knitter. I've been crocheting for a long time, but picked up knitting recently. I found it hard to get started, since my hands were so used to having 1 stick and holding the yarn and project a certain way.

I just can't do the English method. I kept dropping everything. After struggling with it for a while, I tried the Continental method. That was a little better. I was actually able to get a few stitches done, though it took a while. Slowly, my hands adapted to this stranger and started to become friends with it. At one point, I even found it meditative to have to focus on the basic stitches. Crocheting I can do while watching TV, listening to a podcast, or several other things. When I started knitting, I had to stop my brain and focus on the stitches. It also made me appreciate how far my crochet skills had come. When I started crocheting as a child, it was also slow and something I had to concentrate on. Now, it's second nature.

So, when I got frustrated with my lack of progress when knitting, I'd switch to crochet. I still switch back and forth between the two a lot. However, these days, it's more about giving my hands a different motion to work on than switching between the focus of knitting or ease of crochet. My knitting skills have gotten a lot better, so I can relax with it more. I've even taking on knitting two sweaters (baby sweaters for a gift) and I think they turned out really cute.

One is Baby Sophisticate by Linden Down (available on Ravelry):


The other is Cabled Raglan Baby Sweater by Rebecca L. Daniels (available on Ravelry):

Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment