Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Eleanor Roosevelt was a Cool Lady


I stumbled across a great book a few weeks ago and want to share it with the beings of the internet, whomever you may be.

I've been participating in some leadership seminars at work. Once of the recommendations that I decided to act on is to read a biography of a leader. Real-life examples are usually helpful. I thought about various historical occasions - the Revolution, the Civil War, the Roman Empire... and settled on WWII. It' s fairly recent and I didn' t actually know that much about it - my high school history teacher ran out of time and had to cover it very quickly. And, I'll be honest, I didn't pay that much attention in history class - I've always been a math/science girl. :)

So, I went to the biography area of the Fremont Library and started looking for biographies of FDR. I caught sight of a book in the adjoining section - Leadership the Eleanor Roosevelt Way by Robin Gerber. Hmm... it was about leadership and it covers the WWI era. I took a quick glance and decided to check it out.

It's fantastic. I never knew how amazing Eleanor was. She's done so much for women's rights, civil rights, rights of the poor. She didn't have a position of authority, was not elected to any office. Didn't impede her in the least. She knew how to influence people, network, listen, show compassion and understanding... all the things that a great leader needs to do.

The book itself is very well written. Stories from Eleanor's life, sprinkled with leadership advice and examples from other women leaders showing the same leadership behavior. Makes it not your typical biography and yet not your typical leadership book.

I highly recommend this book to all aspiring woman leaders and anyone interested in history or leadership.

Digitally yours,
Zen

No comments:

Post a Comment